Monday, March 15, 2010

Error 1303: Installer has insufficient privileges (Adobe) Windows 7

After a dozen years of being a taker, not a giver, on these interwebs, I'm coming out.

The new supercyber HP laptop has been working well, and I'm collecting and re-installing stuff as I go along, like Adobe reader.  So imagine my surprise when the wizard tells me that I don't have enough privilege to install in the programs/x86 folder.

I am the sole user account with full administrative access, according to control panel, so how can this be?  After almost an hour on the web trying to sort out WTF might be the problem, I give in and call ... tech dude.  Tech dude is actually a good guy, everybody knows a tech dude (in fact I used to be a tech dude, back in the Windows 3.1 / DOS 6 days).  Tech dude ain't no dummy, and like a lot of tech dudes out there, he's a bit of a Microsoft apologist (why not? The littany of MS quirks and foibles feed his family and pay for his WRX) and knows most of the issues and solutions the minute they're on the web.  Anyway, I'm making a short story long so let's cut to the chase.

The error is a red herring.  You have all the access you can get, so don't be thinking you can go into user accounts and fix it.  It's here:

1. Start / Control Panel
2. System and Security
3. Under the heading "Action Center" click Change security account settings
4. [slide that little bar down from 'notify' to 'never notify'
5. Ignore goofball warnings (like a some rogue malware is going to be foiled by Windows notification? Gimme a break.  This just prevents proper software from installing).
6. Click OK
7. Re-boot
8. Roll a zoomer and find a spark - you need to chill
9. Install away, McDuff!

There.  As far as I know, you won't find this on the web (in so many words anyway) for Windows 7.  Impress tech guy by telling him you figured it out all by yo'sef.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks heaps! After hours of searching and trying every other fix offered, to no avail, yours worked first time!!

    ReplyDelete