Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This Prius guy who was out of control

... for how long?  Standing on the brakes didn't work, and he didn't want to turn the car off in case the steering wheel locked (I don't think it works that way,  you have to have the car in park don't you?), and he was 'afraid' to put the car in neutral.  What good fortune that he was on a clean and green expressway with light traffic at the time and not, say, at the farmer's market trying to find a parking space.

Even before Toyota tested this car and cast doubt on the story I thought it didn't pass the sniff test.  I cannot imagine a an engine and drive train so powerful as to override 4 disc power brakes.  My car is not a Prius - it has 270 horsepower - and if I stand on the brakes it goes nowhere, period.  I also have a classic car with a monster V*8, 325 horse and *drum* brakes (technology developed by the Ford Horseless Carriage and Cattle Company), and there's no contest between the binders and the power train; the brakes win every time.

Having said that, one must ponder the notion of the mysterious ETS (Electronic Throttle System).  My experiece in technology causes me to raise an eyebrow at the thought of software, *kaff kaff*, helpfully assisting me guide my car through the asphalt jungle.  Plus, most of us now are familiar with and trusting of ABS, which is simple logic designed to keep your wheels turning even under maximum brake pedal force.

But I have a hard time believing that HAL is under the hood conjuring a perfect storm of maximum throttle and and minimum braking.  Also why are these episodes never repeatable under the scrutiny of mechanics and engineers?

I really think the NTSB should get involved.  These guys, the airplane crash tin-kicking detectives are pit-bulls when investigating for root cause, and the technology wouldn't intimidate them one whit.

No comments:

Post a Comment