Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm a songwriter. Really!

(notice I didn't use the words 'good', 'published' or 'prolific' before the word 'songwriter').

I gave it a good couple of years, and took the course and all.  I even managed to have a local act pick one of my songs up and play it.  As far as I know it is still in their repertoire (sp?), but alas, that's as far as it went.

So now I'm down to novelty stuff - I create a new song every year for our annual spring getaway with our drunken friends, and sometimes for our annual golf tournament (with the same crew of drunks).  I don't bother with original melodies for these crappy tunes, I just steal something that's recognizable and half-decent, then write my own words.  I then perform with my half-assed guitar playing and half-assed singing, and everyone seems to be half-assed happy about it.

So where are we going with this?  [thinking] Oh ya, this year's song (due in about 10 days).  I know the song I want to brutalize - an 80's hit that's burned deep into everyone's engrams - I just need to find it.  Easy, as GW might say, with 'the google'.

Not one of my searches turned up anything.  No partial string of lyrics that I thought I could remember, in spite of several dozen tries, would yield a thing.  I was stumped.   I know it goes something like "play it all right on a saturday morn", or some variation of that, as I replayed the slurred lyrics through my ash-can of a mind.

Yesterday, I found it!!  How did I get it?  By perfoming a literal search of the last thing I thought would work.  Here's the search (in the double quotes I might add):

"Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh".

Yep.  Count 'em - there has to be eight.  Then and only then will you find the Break up Song.  Damn you Greg Kihn, take an ESL class.

They just don't write 'em like that anymore indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment